One more for your holiday table! Here's our recipe for Liquid Nitrogen Lemon Pistachio Gelato made with a Cuisinart Precision Master.
Lemon Mint Pistachio Gelato
2.25 cups Whole Milk
2.25 cups Heavy Cream
1.5 cups Sugar
12 each Egg Yolks, Large
1/2 bunch Fresh Mint Sprigs
12 ounces Pistachio Paste
1/4 cup Candied Lemon Zest, chopped
1. Slowly simmer Milk, Cream and Mint Sprigs in a pot.
Once simmering, remove from heat and allow to steep overnight. This allows the mint flavor to infuse completely into the Milk and Cream mixture.
2. Return Milk, Cream mixture to a heavy bottomed pot and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and push Mint, Milk and Cream through a fine strainer. Set aside.
In a large bowl, combine Egg Yolks and Sugar. Whisk until it forms a paste.
3. Slowly drizzle hot liquid into the Egg mixture, whisking constantly as to not curdle the Egg Yolks. Once all the Liquid has been incorporated into the Egg Yolks, place bowl over a pot of lightly simmering water. Using a rubber spatula, constantly stir the mixture while slowly heating it. Take the mixture to 179 degrees Fahrenheit, remove from heat, pass through a fine strainer or chinois and cool immediately. Cooling should be done in an ice bath to stop the cooking process quickly. Stirring occasionally.
4. Cooled completely, stir in the Pistachio Paste and Candied Lemon Zest.
5. Pour 1 quart of custard mixture into Cuisinart Precision Master with the paddle attachment. Wearing safety gloves and goggles, turn the mixer onto the first speed and slowly pour in the Liquid Nitrogen** until the frozen gelato forms.
6. Serve with a sprig of mint, crushed raw pistachios and candied lemon zest.
** Liquid Nitrogen is extremely dangerous. You must wear goggles and gloves and handle it cautiously. An alternative if you cannot get Liquid Nitrogen, is Dry Ice that you break into tiny chips with an ice pick (you must wear gloves as well) and add spoonfuls to custard while the mixer is turning slowly until the desired frozen texture is achieved.